Call us now ! Send us an email

Fox Cities: 920-843-9304
Sheboygan: 920-287-0845
Statewide: 1-877-481-9734

Crime Victims and Abused Immigrants

If you have been the victim of abuse or other crimes, whether you called the police or not, you may be eligible for a visa. There are two potential visa avenues for undocumented individuals who have been the victims of crime – VAWA and the U Visa. If you qualify for either of these options and your application is approved, you, and your qualified dependents, may be eligible to apply for permanent residency in the near future.


VAWA stands for the Violence Against Women Act. The status and future of this act and its provisions that apply to undocumented individuals are uncertain. Recently, Congress had the ability to extend all provisions of this Act; however, failed to do so. It is important to speak to an experienced immigration attorney to discuss your case and determine whether VAWA is a viable option for you.

VAWA may pertain to you if you were or are married to a US Citizen who has abused you (mentally or physically). This option may be available to you even if you did not report the abuse or otherwise call the police.


The U Visa (also known as the crime victim’s visa) is available to undocumented individuals who have been the victim of certain crimes and who cooperated with the police or prosecuting attorney to investigate or convict the perpetrator.

If you think you may qualify for one of these visa paths, please contact Kaehne, Cottle, Pasquale & Associates, S.C. to schedule a no-cost consultation to discuss your case further with one of our experienced immigration attorneys.

Print Version Print Version       Send to a friend Send to a friend       Disclaimer